Thursday, January 8, 2009

For Better or For Worse

I wrote this last Friday but couldn't find my camera cord to upload photos.

So this week has been a test in patience as well as endurance. These were my first days with no help (other than a daily Mountain Dew). I'll spare you the details but it has been worse than I anticipated. One day at a time as my mother always says, and that is more true now than ever. And so I have striven to adopt the mantra: let tomorrow worry for itself (Matthew 6:34) as I take on the daily task of appeasing a 15 month old and a one month old. I am reminded of the marriage vow - for better or for worse, because this applies to your commitment to children too. You don't actually sign a contract when you have a kid but the unwritten agreement is very much implied - for better or for worse I'm the mom and it doesn't just mean not leaving the relationship but trying my hardest to make it the best it can be for both of my boys one day at a time.

Des and Marc have one-on-one time every evening before supper and Marc has sort of taken this time to tutor Des in the ways of the world. The project this week was to work on letters. Marc gives Des a letter (we have magnetic letters), says it and then Des does his best to repeat the sound as he sticks it to the door. He actually does really well. We marvel at his accomplishments daily.

Des has also completely perfected the puppy dog eyes move. Occasionally when you tell him "no" for something he gets real quiet, puts his chin down and looks up at you with big blue eyes (tears glistening) and says please (with signs) real nice like. When you say "no" the second time he just stares at you like "really, really? No?" his eyes getting bigger and bigger. Its kinda sad and at the same time you have to suppress a grin and stand your ground. He really is a cute kid.

We have had an enormous outpouring of sympathetic support for Desmond after we posted the "vroom" video. We have had several wheel oriented objects donated to his "vroom" cause and he plays with every one of them, pushing them around with the beloved vroom vroom sound accompanying the motions. Thank you to all who donated to the cause.


Doing it the proper way.

Watching the deer pass by, a favorite passtime.

Watching the world pass by.

The boys.

1 comment:

ArmyforChrist said...

I am right there with you. Some days are great. Others are horrendous. I will keep praying for you. For me it got a little easier when Ben started smiling (at least I felt appreciated!). Now, if I can just get John to listen and obey outside of the house and we'll be golden!!!! ;o)