Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Activities

My New Year's resolution to take a picture of the boys everyday has been a fruit full endeavor so far. Not only do I feel better about heading off any future awkward "why didn't you take any pictures of us?" arguments I have also come to realize that our days are not as monotonous as I thought. But don't take my word for it, check out our busyness:

Happy boys hangin'.

The boys hate messy hands (weird?) so we 'finger' paint with brushes.

Potatoes are a new source of entertainment. Add to dump truck and you get hours of preoccupation, well, many minutes at least.

"Get in the boat with us, Mama!"

The ever popular, necessary for 'normal' childhood, iconic playdough. =)

This is a great activity. The boys love it. If its below freezing outside you can blow bubbles and then catch them and watch them freeze and they pop far less easily than in warmer temps. Very neat.

Learning about snow melting (the flashlight is our 'sun').

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery but in this case, it is the amateur Yoga Mama that should be imitating the boys' close-to-perfect execution of this Yoga pose.

New game.

For some reason, my boys eat better when served a plate of food rather than recieving food from big recepticles onto their empty plate. So I've been toying with some make-food-fun sorts of ways to present lunch and supper. Here's two: smiley faces and sprinkles. Not professional-grade but makes my boys giggle and that's what counts. =)

Monkey see, monkey do. Desmond had a hoodie on so Jaxter decided to make his own. I eventually just gave him his own hoodie so he would quit stretching his nice sweatshirt! =)

At our Rec Center class, lots of fun. It is technically for 3-5 year olds but Jaxter stays focused and keeps up pretty well... until they start 'racing', then he lags way behind but he smiles the whole time he's doing it. Desmond is fun to watch while they are racing because you can see a physical manifestation of his internal turmoil trying to decide whether to stick with his brother or keep up with the big kids. Very cute and heart warming that he thinks of his brother. =)


Hopefully my mother gets the bigger meaning behind this picture. I remember many a night when my mother would hand me a tupperware container full of pudding and tell me to shake it for the required 2 minutes. Here I am passing on the tradition. This is the boys' first time 'shaking' pudding. =)

Learning about measuring. We are measuring Monte (Desmond's idea, not mine) and Monte is smelling Desmond trying to figure out what is going on. That cat is SO good with the kids, he lets them do whatever and has never so much as hissed at them let alone scratched or bitten them.

We celebrated 10 years of blissful marriage this month. The picture of my hand is because Marc, unbeknownst to me, purchased a anniversary band when he picked out my engagement ring, 10 years ago! He has since hidden it in various places until he presented it to me over a romantic dinner. Pretty neat, huh? This story elicited quite the response over facebook and yes, he is a keeper. =)

Last but not least, we celebrated Marc's birthday this month, as well. The boys were excited about a birthday and we had to call the pie: pie birthday cake. Evidently it is a mortal sin to not have "birthday cake" on a birthday, hence the nickname for the pie.

On a side, self-accountability, note my New Year's resolutions, for the most part, are going well. Although, I find it increasingly difficult to do Yoga (clear your mind) with two toddlers running in and around your legs/arms. We may have to re-approach that technique for getting my Yoga in.

As you can see from these pictures my house is still a bit messy. The reason, though, is not a failed resolution but rather a purging process that is taking place in order to fulfill my resolution: Just Do It! The more I purge and organize the more I feel like keeping my house spotless (a little lofty of an expectation but you know what they say about aiming for the moon).

I'm a day late in my blog once a week ambition, but I'd say that's still a success.

Hope your resolutions are going well, as ..er.. well. Thanks for checking in on us!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Dude! You're on track to homeschool, woman! Such great things you guys are learning/doing!

Hugs, mama!
Tara

The Lundgrens said...

I LOVE all the pictures!! So fun! I know our boys would have the best time playing together...sniff...if only we lived closer. :(
And love the ring!! Awwww....sweetness. :))