Saturday, May 14, 2011

Stupid Germs

I know I've used that post title before but.... I really can't think of any other way to sum up the last week (two weeks?).

Desmond and Jaxter continued to be sick last week, even after our trip to the doctor. Tuesday evening the hospital called to say that they had found a secondary bacterial infection (in addition to his already positive viral result) in Jaxter's tests. Jaxter was progressively getting worse and so, on Wednesday morning, we headed in to the doctor again. He got some IV fluids, anti-nausea medication and an antibiotic and came home. Usually they don't give antibiotics to bacterial gut infections but poor Jaxter's body was just not coping well under the strain of 2 infections. After the second dose he perked up a little and Friday morning he laughed. That laugh made me tear up because it had been so long (14 days) since he had been himself!

Desmond wasn't so bad as we were dealing with Jaxter's difficulties. He has some symptoms but was still fairly chipper and energetic. Thursday, however, he took a marked turn for the worse and has been battling it ever since. Yesterday Marc took the day off to help us out at home as I was completely wore out. Desmond did awful yesterday, high fevers, vomiting... today he is still fairly sick with fevers (although lower than yesterday) and very run down. There isn't much worse than watching your little boys suffer! If you think of us, say a prayer for health!

In the midst of all this we have been busy fundraising for our group of 10 to go on a mission trip to New Orleans this summer. I am getting excited for our trip, although, I will admit, after hearing about how big the bugs are down there I have a bit of anxiety, as well. Taking 7 teenagers cross-country? No problem! Honestly doesn't stress me out! Finding cockroaches in my suitcase (as my pastor assured me I would)!?!?!?! Makes me want to take anxiety pills with me! Ack!

Thank you to all my family and friends who have sent support to me already! I really appreciate it. If you want to donate to our trip you can visit my page at www.gofundme.com/nolayouth
Any extra I raise will go to some of the youth that are not able to raise all the money necessary.

Jaxter getting some IV fluid and having a cracker (after his anti-nausea meds)

Boys having a low key afternoon, watching Sesame Street.

Sick little boy - He was playing with this string and just fell asleep. =(

1 comment:

Julie said...

SO sorry for all of the sickness you've been dealing with, Jill. That is hard, especially when it goes on for so long and seems never-ending. Praying for you and your boys.