In the Military there is something called The Dream Sheet - basically a wish list of duty stations that you would like to be stationed at sometime in your military career. Today's topic is for wives to detail their own dream sheet.
Despite sounding cliche, I will tell you the truth, I don't have a dream sheet.
All my life I have pined for something different, something better (a common malady, I think). Then my husband left for Basic Training and somewhere in the middle of having to do life as a geographic bachelorette, with two toddlers, I realized: life is what you make it. I looked back and saw that each place I had been in my life, that I had deemed "not the one", had some great characteristics, wonderful people and quirks that were unique. Each home that we had made, once unfamiliar and new, eventually had tough times that we grew from, fantastic memories that we cherish and outstanding friends that I still hold dear. I also became painfully aware of the concept of embracing life where you are. Of not stopping the sweet experience of living just because the one(s) you love are not by your side, or the routine you love is not by your side, or the climate you love, or the salary you love. I learned somewhere in that time what home really means, as well.
Even above all that was this: living life with my husband gone to training, I was suddenly aware and very confident that *this*, this very place, this very day, even in the hardest moment, is where God wants me to be. And despite all the logical reasons there are to be content wherever you are, the only reason that is needed is: you are where you are ON PURPOSE, God's purpose, that is.
So, while a dream sheet fulfilled would be nice, even better and more fulfilling is knowing that I am right where God wants me to be and no amount of promised amenities (or brand new readily available on-post housing) could lure me away from the sure path that I have set my feet on. And I am absolutely positive that that path is directly beside my soldier husband no matter where he is stationed or deployed to, because, thank God, he is my home.
5 comments:
This is some great insight! Your outlook on this crazy life is definitely what I am striving for as well. Thank you for sharing!
~Adina Schmidt
You're absolutely right. I came to this same conclusion when my husband's first active duty station was North Dakota :) (But I still think it's ok to dream...as long as we're not pining away our lives...)
I love your outlook! I can be happy wherever we go as long as we're a family. God can use us to serve others anywhere and I love seeing how He brings us blessings in surprising places when we open our eyes and look for them. But hey, if the military wants to give us a choice, we might as well take it, right? :)
@Pattie and Midlife - Absolutely its ok to dream! =) Just sharing where I am right now.
You won! :)
Post a Comment