Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Moaning Mertle and Forgotten Events

So in my exhaustive state of mind I forgot a couple of exciting events to post. First I got to be an adult again and give a presentation on nursing for career day at the high school. I fully overestimated how exciting nursing would be to high school kids and I underestimated how hard I would have to work to even get them to look like they were listening in with interest. Hmmmm. Neither here nor there I had a good time with a non-mommy project and did get some good feedback. We also had a visit from Grandma Marge who graciously filled our freezer with meals and goodies to last all month. I am SO excited to not have to worry about dinner every night now. Its just a mater of opening the freezer and picking out something to reheat - can you hear the relief in my voice? =) Des, of course occupied Grandma's every waking minute (when she wasn't cooking) showing her all his new animal sounds and the cats.

Speaking of Des - I am tempted to start calling him Mertle. For those of you familiar with Harry Potter this will make sense. Moaning Mertle is a character in the books/films that moans and cries all the time - only its not real crying she just tries to get people to feel sorry for her . Which is exactly what Des is doing. Its half cute half sad. He sees babies (Jax, kids at church, kids at playgroup) crying and then screws up his face and starts to moan looking to the nearest parent to console him. Very classic jealousy for a under-two toddler. I know this because a.) I suspected as such and b.) I finally found an article on 'two under two.' I looked and looked for info on helping a young toddler adjust to a new edition but all the suggestions were for kids that had reached two years old! Not helpful. This article I found is great and helped me know that what I was trying to do with Des was indeed on the right track, doesn't make it easier but its nice to know my efforts are at least in line with "experts" opinions. =)

Have a good week!

1 comment:

ArmyforChrist said...

What's the article? I'm curious to see if we have been doing what they suggested. John has been doing the same moaning/whining constantly, but more so, when I have Ben or am doing something that doesn't involve him.